HOME ALL A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0-9

Format:DVD
Studio: Golden Harvest
Date: 1973
Catch Phrase: NONE


What the box says:In this high-kicking martial arts thriller, a young man (BRUCE LEE) is called to Rome to help a family friend whose restaurant is being targeted by local gangsters. Used to getting their own way, these ruthless men make the mistake of underestimating the young man's ingenuity. When they are unable to get rid of him, they call in an international martial arts champion (CHUCK NORRIS), creating the ultimate clash of kung fu masters in the ancient city's majestic coliseum.


What I say about the box:Sums up the movie well. Just stating the fight between Lee and Norris will persuade someone at a store to buy the movie. I missed out on Bruce Lee because I wasn't even born when he was alive, so when I was at Best Buy and saw this movie I had to pick it up and I am not sorry that I did.


My review:This movie was made in the classic method of writing the story around the fighting scenes, which Bruce Lee coined. Seeing as the movie was produced in the 1970s it has a very "hippy" look to it. The bell bottoms, hats, haircuts, music, and language slang all fit in a very groovy package. As the box stated, the movie is about a hero who comes from China to help out his family in distress. The family restaurant is being bullied by some random thugs because they want to redevelop the area and need their property. Bruce says no to that by repetitively beating up the thugs with his many skills in that area. My favorite scene in the whole movie is when he uses nun-chucks. The skill at which he wields them is amazing. It's also funny how he easily handles each thug with a smack or two of the nun-chucks and proceeds to show off to them with flashy nun-chucking moves. As I said earilier, the story takes a back seat as it is only used to piece the action scenes together. Although they do throw in an interesting plot twist towards the end, which I don't want to spoil, so I won't say. As the story goes on and the thugs can't seem to beat Bruce, they decide to hire outside help to finish him off. This is where Chuck Norris comes in. So Bruce and Chuck end up fighting each other in a great battle at the ruins of the Roman Coliseum. You can guess who wins the battle...

In summary, The movie has great action scenes which highlight Bruce Lee's abilities. There isn't much story to enjoy, but it supports the movie enough not to bore action movie fans.


0 review comments (click here to post a new comment)